2007年5月8日火曜日

ARP2: Reaction to Meiland’s “Why Reasons Matter”

Tomoya1
Tomoya Hagiwara
Mr. James
ARW Section AC
8 May, 2007

Reaction to Meiland’s “Why Reasons Matter”

Summary
According to Meiland, beliefs must have good reasons. There are five reasons. First, we hold that a belief which is supported by good reasons is more likely to be true than one which is not supported by good reasons. But we should not allow this justification of the search for good reasons to go unchallenged and unexamined. Second, because we base beliefs on good reasons, we can aid in avoiding frustrations of this sort and to help in achieving one’s goals. Third, basing beliefs on good reasons fits together well with our democratic way of life. This justification is what we might call a “social” justification. Fourth, if we know the grounds-the good reasons or justification-for our beliefs, we can defend our belief. Therefore we’re more likely to retain our true beliefs when we know why we ought to hold them. At last, it is as useless and as dangerous to hold beliefs that may be true but which you do not understand as it is to hold beliefs that are out-and-out false. By investigating reasons for our beliefs, we can understand them better. Therefore, college work is so concerned with the reasons for our beliefs.

Discussion
Meiland has said that beliefs must have good reasons. I want to discuss his last point: by investigating reasons for our beliefs, we can understand them better. I agree his opinion. There are two reasons. First, sometimes there are times when we don’t know whether we really understand about certain thing or not. In that case, I’m determined to examine my reasons for it. Because it means that I don’t understand fully about it to have obscure points. When I have no unclear points, I can say I understand. Therefore by investigating reasons for my beliefs, I believe that I can understand them better. Second, this is a little similar to the above thing I have just explained. By investigating reasons for our beliefs, sometimes we can find out new reasons for them. When investigating them, I may realize I don’t have much enough reasons for my beliefs. Then I will try to find out new and better reasons for them. If I can get a better reason or better reasons for them, I will be sure that I understand. But if not, it might mean that I don’t understand fully. Therefore I agree his point “by investigating reasons for our beliefs, we can understand them better.”


Work Cited
Meiland, Jack W. College Thinking: How to Get the Best Out of College. New York: New American Library, 1981. (The ELP Reader, 2007. 3-23).

0 件のコメント: